There are at least seven reasons why life is worth living. The fourth reason is GOD HAS A PURPOSE FOR OUR LIVES
In Jeremiah 29 v 11 we read that God has plans to give us ‘a hope and a future’
- Life is not just a series of casual, random incidents
- There is a higher purpose being worked out, sometimes despite our failures, lack of commitment and behaviour
God’s promise in Jeremiah is not a guarantee that nothing will go amiss… We must not imagine that God’s plans do not contain testing and, occasionally, allowing us to experience distressing circumstances
- But He promises to be with us through those times
Why does God permit trials and tribulations?
- The question is often asked; sometimes by people who genuinely want to understand; sometimes by those who seek to undermine faith in God
- Although much of the answer remains a mystery, we can be sure that God’s ways are higher than ours… though in the immediate term it may not always appear that way!
I know of a young man given the promise from Jeremiah just one day before he was involved in a serious car accident that would paralyse him from the chest down…today he still requires 24 hour a day support.
- Yet today, he has earned a doctorate and is serving in South Africa to enhance the rights and lives of disabled people
- God’s promises still hold even when, perhaps especially when, the circumstances suggest something different
Believing that God has a plan and purpose for our lives is not fairy-tale of the ‘they all lived happily ever after’ variety
- Stephen was stoned to death…James the brother of Jesus was beheaded… Peter went blind and was probably crucified… Paul stood before Ceasar
THEY ALL HAD GOD’S PROMISE FOR THEIR LIVES…JUST AS WE DO
- But sometimes we have to accept that there are going to be hard times as well as good ones
AND THE PROMISE IS FOR EVERYONE…young and old…
- God doesn’t go away and lose interest in us because we happen to have lived a long time!
- And He isn’t less interested in someone because that person happens to be young and inexperienced
The promise is for all… Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved
- Saved from the penalty of sin…but also saved for service in the Kingdom
AND THOUGH THE WAGE THAT WE RECEIVE FOR SIN IS DEATH… THE FREE GIFT OF GOD IS ETERNAL LIFE
For all who believed…he gives the right to be His children
OF COURSE WE CAN HINDER GOD’S PLANS FOR OUR LIVES…
- We need to listen to God’s voice and obey
- It is possible to claim that we want to know God’s will when the truth is that we only want to know if it accords with our own plans!
- BE CAREFUL ABOUT PRAYING FOR GUIDANCE…or asking God to bring something about in your life… God hears and responds!
And sometimes He puts us in tough situations to increase our faith and move us forward
- Ask older Christians and they will tell you that their faith grew when life’s tough times made them face up to the reality of their faith and confirmed how much they really trusted Christ
Some people and religions BELIEVE IN FATE
- My uncle used to say to me: “If the bullet’s got your number on it, you can’t do nothing about it!”
- By contrast, the Bible says: The very hairs on your head are numbered [you matter to God]
WE ARE NOT ROBOTS OR CLOCKWORK MICE…we can ignore what God is saying and choose to go our own way…
- But what could be better than to live our lives in the centre of His will and purpose?
- Thanking Him in every situation
- Refusing to become bitter or anxious (not easy)
- Yielding the start of each new day to Him
- Staying in close touch with Him throughout the day
- Inviting Him to share every intimate part of our lives, feelings, thoughts, actions, decisions
FOR HE HAS PROMISED THAT HE WILL NEVER LEAVE US OR FORSAKE US
- Is this true or isn’t it?
- Do we accept it or don’t we?
- We need to relax and respond to the plan and purposes of God and not continue to battle on our own as if we can do without God
Life is worth living because GOD HAS A PURPOSE FOR OUR LIVES
Aren’t you glad?