- New Year Resolutions… How many have you broken so far?
According to surveys, the top eight New Year resolutions that we may have already failed to keep are as follows…
- Have more exercise
- Lose weight
- Get better organised … God is a God of order not disorder!
- Learn a new skill or hobby …
- Live life to the full… Which Jesus offers us!
- Save more money / spend less money
- Stop smoking
- Spend more time with family and friends
BUT WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY about ‘being resolute’? There are 4 instances in the Bible when ‘resolved’ (determined/ resolute) is used:
- Jehoshaphat resolved to enquire of the Lord…‘Act in haste, repent at leisure’
- Daniel resolved not to defile himself… To remain holy… resisting sin
- (God speaking) You have not resolved to honour me…
- For I resolved to know nothing…except Jesus Christ & Him crucified
When we think of being resolute (determined), we must consider how Jesus behaved. In Hebrews 12: 2, we read that because of the joy awaiting him, Jesus endured the cross, disregarding [setting aside, ignoring] its shame.
His disciples tried to dissuade Him from going to Jerusalem. The devil tried to tempt Him away … but He resolved to take the Calvary Road, not the easy one.
And we need to follow His example… to be steadfast / determined / undeterred in following the path set out for us by God today, tomorrow, this year and in whatever time we have left on earth.
Children & young people make resolutions…not
just new year ones!
- To keep my toys/games/room tidy
- To make my bed each day
- To say please and thank you
- To work hard at school/college
- To brush my teeth twice a day
- To share my sweets and tweets with my friends
These are useful… but even better…
- To say thank you to God every day for His love and care
- To think about Jesus every day
- To pray to God every day
- To read some Bible verses every day
- To show the love of Jesus to my friends & family every day
- To invite my friends to church
I’ve also heard younger children say that they will try to be GOOD!
Some men came to Jesus and began by saying: “Good teacher…” But Jesus interrupted them: “Why do you call me good? Only God is good!”
None of us can claim to be good all the time!
- ONE WAY STREET…No Entry, yet people ignore it to take a short cut!
- SINKING SAND … yet some people ignore it and become stuck!
There are things in life God has warned us about… NO ENTRY… SINKING SAND!
- SMOKING can KILL … yet people still smoke
- GOSSIP hurts and poisons relationships… yet people still gossip
- JEALOUSY can lead to violence, yet some people allow it to control their behaviour
Jesus referred to this type of wrong behaviour (thoughts, words & deeds) as SIN
- Sin is conceived (formed) in our MINDS as THOUGHTS… our thoughts are created through what we see and hear… So be wise!
- What we think is then expressed through our lips… (By what we SAY) … and then through our actions… (By what we DO!)
Yet the greatest sin is to ignore or reject God’s offer of forgiveness and eternal life after we die through Jesus Christ