If God is completely good (which He is)… Jesus the man was sinless (which he was) … and we are far from perfect (which we are) … how can we enter heaven where nothing bad or impure is allowed?
Heaven has a notice outside: NO ENTRY to sin!
- In other words, how can we have our sins forgiven and become ‘perfect’ like Jesus, so that we are at one with God?
- Jesus said we must first believe in God and also believe in Him. The Apostle Paul wrote to the church in Corinth (Greece)…
For God was in Christ, reconciling [bringing back in harmony] the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them… We speak for Christ when we plead [to people], “Come back to God!”
That’s the first step… to come (back) to God.
- When we believe that Jesus Christ is who He claimed to be… the Son of God and Saviour of the world, we need to accept that we are sinners and cannot get right with God by our own efforts…
- Once we accept that we are sinners, we must believe that although we cannot get right with God by ourselves, we can get right with Him through Jesus
- Jesus died that we might have eternal life… it’s a free gift… you can’t earn it! But you need to accept it and make up your mind to become a true disciple of Jesus Christ
- When you do so, God’s Holy Spirit takes up residence in your life in a special and wonderful way.
- You are still a sinner but Jesus’ death on the cross pays for our sins and in God’s sight we are ‘covered’ (protected) by Jesus
And our lives will never be the same again!
- If we allow the Holy Spirit to have His way in our lives (and we have the choice as to how much we allow Him to do so) we are gradually changed to become like Jesus (‘Sanctification’)
- In becoming more like Jesus, we become His representatives / witnesses / living testimonies in the world
The Holy Spirit is not in the business of just improving our existing habits, ideas and priorities… He wants to completely reorder them into the likeness of Jesus. It’s replacing our old lives with the life of Christ. We all need to consider the implications for our lives if we submit to this transformation process!
The question we all need to answer is this one: “Am I prepared to totally submit my life to God?”
We must keep moving forward… Someone once said that in the Christian life, we move forward or backward but never stand still!
But we must move forward in step with the Spirit of God, as He leads and guides us… so prayer, reading the Bible, paying attention to Spirit-filled teaching and taking time to listen for God’s voice are essential
David Livingstone apparently once commented: ‘I will go in any direction… as long as it’s forward!’
The Apostle Paul writes… But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus.
So press on to win the prize!